In the BONUS gift for pre-ordering Handmade, Holiday, Homicide, I showed readers how to make this adorable “Dollhouse in a 3-Ring Binder” room. Here’s how to make the matching base for the lamp.
NOTE: The BONUS gift will be available to those who pre-order Handmade, Holiday, Homicide on or before December 15, 2014. Hurry! You don’t want to miss out!
Here’s the link to get your copy:
Coffee stirrer straw (very small hole in these)
One piece of floral wire
An old pencil with an eraser
Craft knife or steak knife
Acrylic paint and brush
1. Dig out all the eraser from the pencil, using the blade of the knife. Do this carefully, as you don’t want to bend the metal eraser cup. When you have all the pieces out, use the needle-nosed pliers and remove the eraser cup from the pencil. Gently shape the eraser cup into a flower with four petals by using the pliers. The finished die cut should look like this:
2. Roll the foil into a donut shape with a hole in the center. This should be the size that you want for your final lamp base. Cover the donut with polymer clay. Smooth it into a ball by rolling it in between the palms of your hands.
3. Roll out the clay for your flowers, making it as thin as possible. Press the flower die cut into the clay. Pull the excess clay away. Pop out the flower with the tip of your paint brush or with the pencil tip. Make five flowers. Press the flowers against the side of the clay.
4. Check to see that the coffee stirrer stick can fit in the center hole. If not, adjust the size. (You could use a skewer to do this or a toothpick.)
6. Bake the lamp base in the oven at the temperature suggested by the polymer clay manufacturer.
7. When cool, embellish with acrylic paint.
So, how do you like it? Any questions?